Position Announcement, August 2015
Madison County Library System
An Equal Opportunity Employer
Basic Function: Responsible for the overseeing of general operations of the Ridgeland Library, a branch within our county-wide system, adhering to our Board-approved mission statement and policies. Responsible for circulation services, adult programming, local reference services, collection development and reader’s advisory for adults. Acts as liaison between branch staff and administration. The position of Branch Manager requires regular attendance while the library is open and library staff are on the job. Works on reference desk as required. Some evening and Saturday work required.
Required Knowledge, Skills, Abilities: A Masters Degree in Library Science from an A.L.A. accredited institution, plus at least two years of full-time supervisory experience in public libraries is required. Also must possess a knowledge of library management, library collections, and automated library systems. Must have good interpersonal oral and written presentation skills.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
* Manages and supervises delivery of high quality library services and evaluates effectiveness of those services.
* Participates in the personnel process for branch staff, including, but not limited to, hiring, supervision and evaluation of staff performance and identification of staff training needs.
* Plans public service programs for reference assistance, reader’s advisory and adult programming to support the mission statement.
* Develops and maintains library collections responsive to the community’s informational, educational and cultural needs.
* Monitors and adheres to branch materials budget.
* Maintains awareness of current library trends and developments through professional reading, conference attendance and organization participation.
* Interprets policies and procedures to the public in a patron-responsive manner.
* Establishes effective communications with community groups, organizations, individuals and branch staff.
* Plans workflow of and staffing for effective public service.
* Monitors library building needs, initiates maintenance and repair as necessary, alerts system administration to major problems.
* Adheres to and interprets policies and procedures applicable to branch staff.
* Ensures compliance with standard operating and safety procedures.
* Performs reference service duties.
* Uses technology to generate reports and library services functions.
* The Branch Manager will also work with the Ridgeland Friends of the Library to encourage fund raising and gifts for the Ridgeland Library.
Benefits: Paid holidays, vacation, sick leave, health insurance, retirement, deferred compensation plans, cafeteria plan.
Salary Range: $35,000 - $40,000 Depending on relevant experience and education.
Application Deadline: September 15, 2015
Contact: Send completed application (available online at www.mcls.ms/Jobapp/application.pdf or any MCLS branch) cover letter, resume, and three professional references to:
Tonja Johnson, Director
Madison County Library System
102 Priestley Street
Canton, Mississippi 39046
Resumes supported by transcripts, copies of degrees and continuous education certificates are helpful in our giving consideration to your full qualifications