MADISON COUNTY LIBRARY SYSTEM
Title: Children’s Specialist
Department: Youth Services/Madison Public Library
The full-time Children’s Specialist, under the direction of the Youth Services Director and Programming Coordinator, will plan, schedule, and conduct children’s and young adult programming and special events for the Madison Library. Additionally, the Children’s Specialist serves as a liaison to local schools, provides community outreach to daycares and schools, assists with collection development, and provides reader’s advisory and reference services for children, young adults, and families. Other duties performed under the supervision of the Branch Manager include maintaining shelves in the youth areas (shelf reading and light shelving) and circulation support. This position is full-time and may require occasional weekend and evening hours.
As a staff member of the Madison County Library System, the Children’s Specialist will follow policies and procedures as set forth by the MCLS Board of Trustees.
Bachelor’s Degree in Education-Related Field with emphasis in children’s and young adult services, or working toward an MLS at an accredited school. Prefer two years experience in services to infants, children, and young adults, with an emphasis on children’s and young adult literature preferred. Also required are excellent written and oral communication skills, ability to work with the public, familiarity with library databases, computer software, word processing, and the Internet.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
* Follow policies and procedures as set forth by Library Director.
* Schedule, plan, conduct, and publicize children’s and young adult programming in branch library under the direction of Youth Services Director and Programming Coordinator.
* Schedule, plan, and conduct children’s and young adult programs for outreach to daycares, schools, and other community groups under the direction of the Youth Services Director and Programming Coordinator.
* Assist children and young adults in the use of library resources; provide reference services for children and young adults.
* Select new print and digital acquisitions for children’s and young adult collections.
* Maintain children’s and young adult collection by regular examination and periodic weeding.
* Prepare monthly and other reports as needed for the Youth Services Director.
* Attend staff meetings and share/exchange information with Youth Services staff.
* Ensure efficient library services by working collaboratively with library staff.
* Assist in working the circulation desk to answer computer questions and checkout materials.
* Conduct library tours and provide programming for visiting classes.
* Participate in professional development workshops and seminars.
Salary & Benefits
This is a full-time, permanent position. Salary shall be commensurate with qualifications and experience. A comprehensive state benefits plan includes paid holidays and sick leave, health and life insurance, basic dental insurance, state retirement, and deferred compensation.
Posted: November 4, 2015
Application Deadline: November 30, 2015
Available: January 4, 2016
Contact: Applications should be submitted to Jaclyn Anderson, Youth Services Director, 102 Priestley St., Canton, MS 39046; 601-859-7733 ext. 115; email@example.com
Performance of the essential duties of this position includes the following physical demands and/or working conditions:
Due to the nature of working with children on a daily basis, this position requires physical effort in performing story-times and other youth services programs, such as puppet shows and reader’s theaters.
Other requirements include the ability to exert a small amount of physical effort in light work involving stooping and bending, and carrying items weighing up to 20 lbs; moving from one area of the office to another; sufficient hand/eye coordination to perform skilled repetitive movements, such as the use of calculators or other office equipment and supplies. May require the ability to climb ladders or step stools, push or pull book carts, lift and carry books or move boxes of materials of considerable weight from one location to another. Tasks require visual perception and discrimination and oral communications ability. Tasks are regularly performed without exposure to adverse environmental conditions.
This job description is subject to be changed by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
Applicants will be required to fill out a complete and accurate MCLS job application. Job Application
Applicants may be asked to provide transcripts, copies of degrees, and continuous education certificates during the application process.
Madison County Library System is an Equal Opportunity Employer.